Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Antique Gothic Royal Cabinet From Croatia?

I am a roadside treasure animal... and I tend to find pretty awesome things just sitting on the curbside. This is one of those special and most loved finds. I can still recall the day I spotted it. I was driving along the road with my cousin and we both saw this massive ornamental piece just tipped over at the curb. 
We did not hesitate for a moment. I hopped out of the car, and literally sat on my treasure while she went home to get my dads truck so we could tote it away. 

It sat in my parents garage for years, while the bottom half of it sat in my cousins boyfriends garage. I never thought the 2 would meet again, but when they broke up, he was throwing out the bottom half! I would have killed him! I drove out with a helping hand and picked up the bottom half! The bottom half will be added later in the photos, as I have only refinished the top half. 

So what the heck is this thing?
At first we thought a wine rack, due to the odd shaped racks inside of it, however it just seems that it is missing the shelves, which I will also add later. 

At any rate, after finding it, we were both intrigued by the family crest carved into the cabinet, and also in the bottom cabinets the same crest was carved. 

From what we gathered, which was not much... the piece seems to have belonged to a royal family in Croatia. But we are no researchers, this was all we could gather though thanks to Google. If anyone knows anything about the crest, please enlighten us!

I'd love to get it to an antique roadshow just to find out more information on the piece, but it is far to massive to just tote around.

I personally adore it because it looked like it came right of of Dracula's castle, with it's crude carvings, and strange family crest. Alas... I love it, and am so happy that I can finally erect it in my home!

I have been painting it black to match the rest of my parlor, and I am loving how things have been coming together in my home! Especially this room!






At any rate here is the cabinet finally together at last-after being apart for years. If ANYONE knows anything about it please let me know. The 1X throws me off, and the symbols... well I have no idea. My guess is 15th century furniture, maybe even older?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gimme That 2 Cents